Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Just a theory

Here's a theory I've been working on for the last few weeks:

The number of words (synonyms) available to identify something in a given society reflect the relative predominance of that thing in the society.

Here are some examples from the American English language (since I have some familiarity with that one). These are just off the top of my head, and of course done without the aid of a thesaurus.

Weather of all kinds have ridiculous numbers of descriptive words, but rain in particular seems to get a lot of attention. We have rain, showers, drizzle, spitting rain, cloud bursts, thunder storms, heavy rain, light rain, driving rain, etc.

Need we even get into the number of words for the male genitals or sex?

We have a few words for money: buck, dough, cash, and I think they used to also call it "bread", but I don't think we really use that any more.

I'm no linguist, but I understand that the Greek language has three words for "love" and that Hebrew has three words for "God". Again though, just a thought.

No comments: